there are a couple of different strategies you can employ when working remotely, and you will want to explore the options that will suit your personal preferences and situation the best. It’s worthwhile to review the different strategies and tips for working from home. It does require a heightened degree of self-motivation and control, as well as the need to put strong boundaries in place between your work and personal life. Let’s take a look at some options and strategies for working from home.
You might not have the slightest idea of what kind of work you can do from home, but by looking at the most popular work-from-home job options, you can have a better idea of the variety of jobs that can be done remotely. Let’s look at a list of the 23 most popular remote job titles as of October, 20195 (Howington, 2019):
- Bookkeeper—this work involves processing documents, posting entries, keeping order, preparing invoices, handling accounts receivable and payable, along with other admin tasks.
- Accountant—this involves analyzing books and turning that data into useful information, setting financial data structures, and helping with financial matters like preparing tax returns.
- Engineer—there are many kinds of engineers, such as mechanical, civil, chemical, electrical, computer, and software. Engineers use science, math, and technology to solve various problems, much of which can be done remotely. This fact is particularly true for computer/software engineers.
- Project manager—project managers help keep projects on track to achieve the required milestones. They also help track budgets and deadlines, delegate duties, and ensure that deliverables are completed on time. Their work is critical but does not necessarily have to be conducted in person.
- Program manager—program managers oversee tasks and projects that help companies achieve their business objectives. It is similar to project management but usually involves overseeing related projects. Project managers help implement strategies and calculate the return on investment for programs and projects. It’s an area of work that can easily be done remotely.
- Interim/part-time manager—this job requires working between 10 to 30 hours a week as a manager/leader, or during a vacancy period when the client needs to cover daily work before finding a permanent employee. These jobs may also be required to help with busy projects or during times of fast growth when the client needs to cover tasks temporarily.
- Recruiter—these people look for qualified candidates for job openings. They often write and post job descriptions, network, interview candidates, onboard new employees, and help maintain the company culture. They also approach freelancers and interim managers when the client needs those services.
Advisory and Education:
- Education—online education has been becoming increasingly more popular over the years, and it is expected that the market will continue growing quickly. It is a successful strategy for many subject areas—teachers, tutors, and coaches can easily make use of established online educational platforms for working with students in groups or one-on-one settings.
- Consultant—consultants work to help companies, organizations, and individuals solve problems, find areas for improvement, and finish projects. They are individuals with expertise and experience in their field. However, for many businesses and educational fields, healthcare industries, and IT companies, consultants are a valuable part of the workforce, and they are able to do much, if not all, of their work remotely.
- Business development manager—business development managers can help find new business opportunities for increasing revenue. They do this by writing proposals, finding sales leads, and making sales pitches. The role requires mainly communication capabilities and networking skills. Knowledge of online marketing tools and techniques will give a greater advantage when looking for work in this field.
- Data analyst—this job entails interpreting various data to assist companies while they make business decisions. As part of that work, the data analyst will collect information and evaluate it for patterns. They will then compile their findings and draft reports for the company to use in the decision-making and problem-solving process.
High Demand Services:
- Writer—this is one of the most common remote jobs. There are many mediums and subjects for which writers can create content, including articles, books, blog posts, emails, ad copy, and technical manuals. There are numerous online websites, newspapers, magazines, blogs, and companies that are willing to pay well for great content.
- Editor—this job entails correcting errors within the written content. Editors rewrite content frequently to make it clearer, and they may also pitch ideas, provide feedback to writers, and write headlines.
- UX/UI designer—this involves facilitating the user experience and interface of a product. These individuals often create flowcharts, produce codes and scripts, and design prototyping concepts. This is another popular remote job.
- Programmers—programmers use computer coding languages to write software and create mobile applications and websites. This is another popular remote job.
Sales and Marketing:
- Customer service representative—customer service representatives are people who focus on helping customers or clients. They do this by using telephones, email, online chats, or social media to help answer questions, place orders, and resolve customer problems.
- Sales representative—these individuals sell products and services, and they also often deliver presentations and demonstrations, participate in sales meetings, and keep up-to-date on product information. Much of this work can be done remotely.
- Account manager/account executive—these individuals oversee client relations. They help generate sales by upselling, cross-selling, maintaining positive client relationships, and handling client communications. This is a very common remote job.
- Territory sales manager—this job entails developing sales prospects, creating sales strategies, maintaining customer relationships, and meeting sales goals. This is a popular remote job and is assigned typically to specific regions or territories. It also often requires travel.
- Medical coder—this job involves assigning codes to diagnoses and procedures listed on medical charts and performed on patients. People who work in this field usually work for hospitals, clinics, and/or physician’s offices, but it is common for the work itself to be done remotely.
- Nurse—while nurses have been in demand even before the current pandemic, it is now a job that can be done remotely via telehealth platforms. This job typically requires providing assistance to patients through phone messaging, video conferencing, messaging, and/or emailing. Usually, these nurses are answering questions, instructing patients on treatments, and/or providing medical advice.
- Case manager—this job entails assessing patient needs, then helping find resources that they require. It can include advocating for patients, providing guidance and/or education, and building relationships with patients and their families.
This list of available remote opportunities is by no means exhaustive—these are just some of the more popular remote jobs. Other options include becoming a virtual assistant, data entry technician, administration, among other titles. Some remote jobs require education and experience, but others are entry-level with minimal requirements. There are truly many opportunities, and any sector will offer a broad range of specific jobs with countless opportunities, many of which will likely match your talents, skills, experience, and preferences.
The type of work you might be able to do will depend on your personal situation, but there is a niche among the possibilities regardless of your level of education or experience. Aside from these remote employee positions, there is also the opportunity to create your own business to meet your increasing needs. We will be discussing both freelance work and business creation in the chapters to come, but for now, we will be taking a look at a few tips from people who are successfully working from home now and how they do it.